CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Five Character Words

Emma Kate's teacher gave each parent a sheet asking for some information about their child. The very first question asked us to "List 5 character traits about your child." I shouldn't admit this but I'm going to.....the first 2 or 3 that came to mind were not positive, encouraging thoughts! Now you know she is a sweetheart but man oh man, she goes from syrupy sweet to grouch-O in about 0.5 seconds! (I also put that same comment on the sheet for a different question!)



So I googled character qualities. Not that I don't know what those are, but I wanted a nice long list of words that I might not think of. As usual, Google came through with several links of great lists of character traits.



There were 6 words from the 3 lists I looked at that immediately jumped out at me in describing Emma Kate. The questionnaire said to list 5 (and the 5 was underlined so I didn't want to break the rules). So I narrowed it down to these 5 which soooo appropriately fit her:



*quiet

*cautious

*gentle

*loving

*sweet



She is absolutely ALL of those things, but I don't take enough time to notice the good characteristics and praise her for them. The day that I wrote these down on the questionnaire, I noticed that I immediately started recognizing each of these things in her. And I appreciated them. I am so thankful for: a)this questionnaire which made me take a few minutes and see what a wonderful girl she is. b) a teacher who wants to know the small details of each child in her class c)teachers and a school who love the Lord and want to partner with the parents to grow children who love, honor, obey and serve HIM.



**As a sort-of related sidenote, earlier this summer, Emma Kate and I had a couple of very rough weeks. She was disobedient, rude, un-loving, not kind, etc... Certainly not the character qualities I am trying to teach her.


My method of disciplining her was NOT what it should have been. If you know me at all, you know that through genetics, I am loud. So when I would get on to her, I was more often than not yelling at her. Can I just tell you that with her attitude, that was like throwing fuel on a fire???


About two weeks ago, I opened my email inbox and started reading the email devotional that I receive each weekday. I clearly felt God speaking to me with this devotional. Loud and clear, I could hear Him saying that my yelling was not only spurring her negative behaviors more, but I was also not modeling the kind of behavior I want her to have. (Click here if you'd like to read it.) I was convicted. I immediately began to try to be calmer, quieter, more gentle, kind and loving with her. She had no idea of the changes I was purposefully trying to make. But, I can tell you she noticed.


One night as I was speaking calmly to her about a situation, she came over to me, put her arm on my shoulder, started rubbing it and said "Oh sweet Mama, you're so gentle." Melted my gentle heart. Thank you Father for speaking to us through all sorts of venues!



Back to the character words....I felt so good about the words I'd picked out describing Emma Kate that I decided to do some for Eli, too. His were so easy. He is full of life and spirited! He's always been such an easy kid. Here are his 5 character words that I chose:



*enthusiastic

*friendly

*imaginative

*obedient

*studious


Don't you just get a glimpse of fun-loving Eli when you read those words? :-)

I've already got some character words in mind for Zane and Zander. The words are as completely and totally different as those 2 little guys are. I'm not posting them now....waiting a while to see if their little personalities change much.



What a reminder this has been of how uniquely God creates each one of us. Thank you Father for entrusting me with these 4 precious lives that you created!

No comments:

Post a Comment